Oldtown in Forsyth County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Congregation Store Addition after 1766
This addition to the Bethabara store was built sometime after 1766, according to surviving maps. Notice the fireplace base support extending to the cellar floor. Additions to Moravian buildings were common, often based more on practicality that architectural aesthetics. This second addition to the store stood diagonally adjacent to it.
"Busy day, the roof and rafters over the store were rapidly taken down, and new rafters placed to cover the old house and the addition which had been laid before Easter; then most of the roof was covered before night, so that in case of rain, no damage would be done."
Bethabara Diary, May 7, 1764.
Erected by Historic Bethabara Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 7, 1764.
Location. 36° 9.34′ N, 80° 17.88′ W. Marker is in Oldtown, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker can be reached from Bethabara Road, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winston Salem NC 27106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bethabara (a few steps from this marker); Tailor's Shop 1764 (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregation Store 1759 & 1764 (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisade Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Tailor's Shop Addition and Well after 1766 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Well 1763 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brothers House 1755 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oldtown.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 13, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.