Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hugh P. Cameron,
a crockery merchant, as his residence.
In 1892, David Bentschner,
a clothing merchant,
purchased the home and changed
the interior to Colonial Revival.
The front gate, carrying his initials,
was added at that time.
Erected by The College of Charleston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 46.986′ N, 79° 56.345′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bull Street, on the left when traveling east. Located between Pitt and Coming Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Bull Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Blacklock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kornahrens-Guenveur House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Farr House (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Lucas House (within shouting distance Nine College Way (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); College of Charleston (about 600 feet away); Bethel Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Elizabeth Jackson (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Cameron House. this house has an unusual plan, with two parlors in front, a small room and stairhall at the rear and the entrance in a pavillion on the east side. The interior was remodeled in the 1890s in the Colonial Revival style. The College of Charleston restored the house in 1972 as a faculty residence. (Charleston County Library)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 14, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.