Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The district had the structure built on the site of an earlier Rockport school, a wooden structure dating to 1892. When the new school opened, it housed eleven grades before adding the twelfth a few years later for full accreditation.
Rockport School served the community for many years while undergoing several changes. After World War II, a former Army Air Forces building provided space for a gymnasium and classroom addition utilized until the late 1950s. After construction of a new high school in the city in 1953, district officials converted this building into an elementary
This zigag moderne building features a dramatic stylized sunburst over the entryway. Other features include a running course of brickwork detailing and symmetrical, regular massing.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13653.)
Location. 28° 1.723′ N, 97° 3.155′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Live Oak Street and East Laurel Street, on the right when traveling south on North Live Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 619 N Live Oak St, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Rockport (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bracht House (about 700 feet away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aransas County (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank of Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hoopes-Smith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton-Bruhl House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education •
More. Search the internet for Rockport School.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2012. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 16, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. 2. submitted on March 18, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.