Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
"Harvey House" Leavenworth Court House Annex I
This home was built circa 1870 by A. A. Higgenbotham. The stone was quarried at Junction City, Kansas. Messrs. Anthony, Goehner and Lysle negotiated with the Harvey family and the property was donated to Cushing Hospital in 1944. The Hospital donated the buildings to the School Board. [In] 1984 the U.S.D. 453 donated the property to Leavenworth County. The property was accepted by Commissioners Dollie Scheller, John F. Denney and Donald F. Aaron.
Extensive renovation of the exterior of the building began immediately. 1985 saw the County, under the present Board, refurbish the main building, remodel the Carriage House into offices for the Health Department.
[Erected] July 4, 1986
Erected 1986 by Leavenworth County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 39° 18.689′ N, 94° 54.999′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of Olive Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling westTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 624 Olive Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Frederick Henry Harvey (here, next to this marker); Frederick H. Harvey (within shouting distance of this marker); The Knapp House (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Post #23 Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Leavenworth Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Quartzite Boulder (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leavenworth County World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . .
1. National Fred Harvey Museum. (Submitted on March 17, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Union Park Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 17, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.