Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Benjamin Lucas House
a contractor, as his
residence and owned
by his family until
the 1930's. It was
in 1960 by
Richard H. Jenrette.
Erected by The College of Charleston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 46.974′ N, 79° 56.386′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bull Street, on the left when traveling east. Located Between Pitt and Coming Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Bull Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Blacklock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Farr House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kornahrens-Guenveur House (about 400 feet away); Bethel Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Nine College Way (about 66 Bull Street The John Cart House (about 700 feet away); College of Charleston (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Benjamin Lucas House. This three and one-half story, stuccoed brick house, in the Greek Revival style, was built c. 1858 by Benjamin Lucas, a builder and city inspector of buildings, as his residence. The College of Charleston restored the house in the early 1970s as a faculty residence. (Charleston County Public Library: Thomas, DYKYC, July 28, 1969.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 18, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.