Lamar in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John Wesley Methodist Church
This church, founded about 1865, is the first African-American church in Lamar and was long known as Lamar Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. It was organized by Rev. John Boston, a former slave who was its first minister, serving here 1865-67. Boston, who also represented Darlington Co. in the S.C. House 1868-70 and 1872-74, is buried in the church cemetery. The old Boston Township was named for him.
The church held its first services in a brush arbor, but completed a frame sanctuary here about 1866. That church burned in 1906 and was replaced later that year by the present frame sanctuary, a Gothic Revival building. In 1916 trustees donated a half-acre for the Lamar Colored School, later Spaulding High School. Electricity replaced gas lights in 1935 and the exterior was covered in brick veneer in the 1950s.
Erected 2011 by The Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16 - 66.)
Location. 34° 9.822′ N, 80° 3.647′ W. Marker is in Lamar, South Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 East Main Street, Lamar SC 29069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fair Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Augustin Wilson (approx. 5.4 miles away); Battle of Mount Elon (approx. 5½ miles away); Oates (approx. 6.3 miles away); Laurie M. Lawson (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ellison Durant Smith (approx. 7.2 miles away); Lynchburg Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 7½ miles away); William Andrew Dowling (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for John Wesley Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.