Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mile Square in Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Market Street Temple

 
 
Side one: Market Street Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mbowyer, September 16, 2006
1. Side one: Market Street Temple Marker
Inscription.  
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation (Reform) founded 1856 as state's fourth Jewish congregation. Its temple, first in the city, built here 1865-1868 to serve members in area's German Jewish neighborhood. As membership grew and moved northward, congregation built new temple at Delaware and Tenth streets 1899 and at 6501 North Meridian Street 1958.

Hungarian Jews were replacing German Jews in Market Street neighborhood in late 1800s. Hungarian Ohev Zedeck Congregation (founded 1884) purchased Market Street Temple and occupied it 1899-1927. Ohev Zedeck merged 1927 with Congregation Beth El (founded 1915), forming Beth El Zedeck. Vacant Market Street Temple, landmark of Indianapolis and Reform Judaism, demolished 1933.
 
Erected 1999 by the Indiana Historical Bureau, Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, and Charles B. Feibleman Fund. (Marker Number 49.1999.3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 46.092′ N, 86° 9.008′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. It is in Mile Square. Marker is on East Market Street east of North Pennsylvania Street (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 435 E Market Street, Indianapolis IN 46204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis Has Left the Building” (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fallen Deputy Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Marion, 1732-1795 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indianapolis - City of Indiana (approx. ¼ mile away); German Newspapers’ Demise (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
Regarding Market Street Temple. The Temple is no longer located on this site. A parking garage of some sort is currently located there.
 
Also see . . .  Virtual Jewish World: Indiana, United States. Virtual Jewish Library website entry (Submitted on October 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Side two: Market Street Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mbowyer, September 16, 2006
2. Side two: Market Street Temple Marker
The temple is no longer located in this historic spot. It was replaced by a parking garage. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mbowyer, September 16, 2006
3. The temple is no longer located in this historic spot. It was replaced by a parking garage.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,716 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=537

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024