Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
from Refugio County;
Organized in 1871 with
Rockport as the County Seat.
Named for the River
Nuestra Señora de Aranzazu
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 180.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1867.
Location. 28° 1.796′ N, 97° 2.818′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street (State Highway 35) and East Orleans Street, in the median on Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rockport (here, next to this marker); The Big Blue Crab (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank of Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Brundrett House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hoopes-Smith House (approx. Rockport’s Harbor (approx. ¼ mile away); Wood-Jackson House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fulton-Bruhl House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association page on Aransas County. (Submitted on November 29, 2015, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2012. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.