Lamar in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the Town of Lamar
Mirabeau B. Lamar
1798 – 1859
President of the
Republic of Texas
1838 – 1841
Established in 1838
Made a Port of Entry in 1839
Sacked by Union Troops
Feb. 11, 1864
Survived until 1914
but never flourished.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3018.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 28° 8.31′ N, 97° 0.435′ W. Marker is in Lamar, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on State Highway 35 0.1 miles south of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Located just north of the Copano Bridge (LBJ Causeway) and is hidden by brush and palms. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mills Wharf (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fagan (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lamar Cemetery Stella Maris Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of One of the Homes of James Power (approx. 2½ miles away); Aransas County Airport (approx. 4 miles away); Fulton Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fulton Packeries (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lamar.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Site of the Town of Lamar.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2012. 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.