Stamford in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward that elm became known as “The Liberty Tree.” It stood in silent witness to countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and became the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a last act of violence prior to their evacuation of Boston, British soldiers cut it down because it bore the name “Liberty.”
Elm Research Institute, Keene, NH
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic Trees marker series.
Location. 41° 5.083′ N, 73° 34.683′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Westover Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Fort Stamford Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Westover Road, Stamford CT 06902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (here, next to this marker); Stamford Iraq War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stamford (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Stamford (within shouting distance of this marker); Michael F. Lione Memorial Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 2.9 miles away); Charles E. Rowell (approx. 2.9 miles away); Edward A. Connell Heritage Park (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stamford.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Liberty Tree Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.