Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Santa Fe Railway Depot
Charles Frederick Whittlesey, Architect
— 1904 —
designated in 2001
During the early 20th century, the Santa Fe Railroad provided three-day passenger and freight service between Chicago and the Bay Area. This depot was one of three major rail stations in Berkeley. It was closed in 1964 and converted to a restaurant. In 2003, the Berkeley Montessori School renovated the building.
Charles Whittlesey, an innovator in reinforced concrete design, was chief architect for the Santa Fe Railroad and designer of the Grand Canyon’s El Tovar Lodge. Many of his buildings, including this depot, were designed in the Mission Revival style, reminiscent of southwestern pueblo adobe architecture.
Erected 2004 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 37° 52.173′ N, 122° 17.172′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on University Avenue east of Bonar Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1310 Universtiy Avenue, Berkeley CA 94702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Photoplayer Co. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fox Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garden History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Presentation High School and Convent (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toveri Tupa – Finnish Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. half a mile away); 935 Hearst Avenue (approx. half a mile away); Workingman’s Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 612 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on March 25, 2012. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.