Near Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure
In September 1781, the plantation was an important staging ground for the Battle of Eutaw Springs, and afterwards it was one of the few posts outside of Charleston where the British maintained a strong presence. On November 17, when Whig militiamen under the command of Col. Hezekiah Maham and Col. Isaac Shelby attacked Colleton House, the outnumbered troops inside Fort Fairlawn made no move to defend
Among the few Revolutionary War structures in South Carolina that are still visible, the well-preserved remains of Fort Fairlawn are currently under private ownership.
Erected 2012 by Francis Marion Trail Commission of Francis Marion University.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Francis Marion Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1781.
Location. 33° 11.6′ N, 79° 58.317′ W. Marker is near Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from Stony Landing Road. Marker is inside Old Santee Canal Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (a few steps from this marker); C.S.S. David (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Stony Landing House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santee Canal (about 700 feet away); Wadboo Barony (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wadboo Barony: Francis Marion’s Last HeadquartersFirst Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,441 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.