Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Britton's Neck in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dunham’s Bluff: Control of the Rivers

 
 
Dunham’s Bluff: Control of the Rivers Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, March 18, 2012
1. Dunham’s Bluff: Control of the Rivers Marker
Inscription.  From the time Col. Francis Marion took control of the Williamsburg Militia in August 1780 until the following spring, a network of camps in the area where the Great Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee, and Lynches Rivers meet formed a base of operations for his campaign to undermine the British occupation of South Carolina. From here, Marion attacked vital supply lines between Charleston and Camden and worked to neutralize the area’s loyalist militia forces.

Sometime in early 1781, Marion ordered Col. John Ervin, a leader of the Whig militia on Britton’s Neck, to construct a redoubt, or earthen fortification, here at Dunham’s Bluff. The redoubt served as a lookout post to monitor traffic on the Great Pee Dee and as a defensive position against light opposition. A large campsite located a short distance from here housed a garrison of militiamen.

A generation after the Revolutionary War, South Carolina’s official geographer wrote that “by having control of the rivers, [Marion] could be abundantly supplied with provisions, and his post completely inaccessible except by water.” While probably exaggerating the extent of Marion’s
Overview image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, March 18, 2012
2. Overview
Click or scan to see
this page online
strength, the statement does reflect the way he attempted to use the natural environment to his advantage ~ and the strategic importance of the area’s river “highways” to all sides of the conflict in the South Carolina Lowcountry.
 
Erected 2012 by Francis Marion Trail Commission of Francis Marion University.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Francis Marion Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 33° 50.543′ N, 79° 20.444′ W. Marker was in Britton's Neck, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker was on Dunham's Bluff Road. Marker is at the end of the road at the river. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Gresham SC 29546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Snow’s Island: Den of the Swamp Fox (here, next to this marker); Marion's Camp at Snow's Island (approx. 1.7 miles away); Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command (approx. 6.2 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry / Johnsonville
Picture on the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, March 18, 2012
3. Picture on the marker
The militiamen stationed as the Dunham’s Bluff redoubt cooked, ate, and slept in a large campsite located a short distance from here. Courtesy William D. Washington.
(approx. 6.2 miles away); Marion at Port’s Ferry / Asbury at Port’s Ferry (approx. 6.2 miles away); Pleasant Hill School (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Britton's Neck.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Gone
As of Feb 19, 2014, this and the Snow Island marker were both gone. A local gentleman at the site said that they had been stolen. Too bad.
    — Submitted February 24, 2014, by Bill Welsch of Glen Allen, Virginia.
 
Photograph on marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, March 18, 2012
4. Photograph on marker
A brass candlestick unearthed during 2007 excavations at the Dunham’s Bluff campsite.
Map on the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, March 18, 2012
5. Map on the marker
This map of Williamsburg District, from Mills‘ Atlas of the State of South Carolina(1825), notes Dunham’s Bluff as the location of “Marion’s Camp.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,256 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53901

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 26, 2022