London in Madison County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First White Settlers of Madison County
the first white settlers
of Madison County,
the first of whom was
1795 - 1815
Erected by Captain Jonathan Alder Chapter, N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
Location. 39° 53.196′ N, 83° 26.961′ W. Marker is in London, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 68) and High Street (U.S. 42), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Marker is near the main entrance to the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 North Main Street, London OH 43140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison County World War Roll of Honor (here, next to this marker); War Savings Stamps Madison County Veterans’ War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alder Cabin (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Molly Caren Agricultural Center (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Anderson House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Red Brick Tavern (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Jonathan Alder. (Submitted on March 25, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.