Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Windermere in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Windermere Town Hall

 
 
Town of Windermere Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, March 18, 2012
1. Town of Windermere Marker
Inscription.  
The settlement of Windermere began in the mid-1880s when Englishman Stanley Scott built his home in the area, giving it and the surrounding orange groves the name of Windermere, in memory of the Lake Windermere region of England. Other settlers followed, and a town site was platted in 1889, but the community was not formally incorporated until 1925. The town council had no permanent meeting place. Elected officials and citizens often met at the Windermere Woman’s Club, which was destined to become Town Hall. The two-story wood frame clubhouse had been erected on the shore of nearby Lake Butler in 1922 and was moved to its present site in 1938 for use as a community center. It formally became the seat of local government in 1945. Today the square surrounding the town hall is the focus of civic and recreational activity in Windermere. Facilities found there include the Chase Memorial Library, basketball courts, a municipal office building and the Cal Palmer Memorial Building, a small wood frame building constructed in 1911 by one of Windermere’s most prominent early residents. Both the Town Hall and the Cal Palmer Building are listed in the
Wide view of Windermere Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, March 18, 2012
2. Wide view of Windermere Town Hall Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
National Register of Historic Places.
Florida Heritage Site
 
Erected 1996 by Town of Windermere and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-370.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 28° 29.7′ N, 81° 32.113′ W. Marker is in Windermere, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is on Main Street south of West 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker stands in front of Windermere Town Hall which is accessible from an unnamed street which runs parallel to Main Street for several blocks through the center of Windermere. This street is accessible from all the cross streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 Main Street, Windermere FL 34786, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Windermere Town Hall (here, next to this marker); Windermere Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Department of the Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Department of the Navy (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Department of the Navy (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Coast Guard (within shouting distance
Windermere Town Hall (1922) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, March 18, 2012
3. Windermere Town Hall (1922)
Moved to its present location in 1938, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
of this marker); Department of the Air Force (within shouting distance of this marker); Cal Palmer Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windermere.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53961

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 30, 2022