San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of the First Public School in California
public school in California
Erected in 1847 — Opened April 3, 1848
This commemorative marker was erected
in 1957 by the Grand Lodge of Free
and Accepted Masons of the State of California
California Historical Landmark 587
Erected 1957 by California Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. (Marker Number 587.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
Location. 37° 47.676′ N, 122° 24.327′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Clay Street and Walter U Lum Place. The marker is located in the southwest corner of Portsmouth Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Portsmouth Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Smith Hallidie (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of San Francisco’s First Book Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Raising of the American Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Jenny Lind Theatre and San Francisco City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Benjamen Chinn (about 300 feet away); California Star (about 300 feet away); The Birthplace of a Great City (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . Early History of San Francisco Schools. The Virtual Museum of San Francisco presents Will C. Woods' September 1925 article (for the Diamond Jubilee edition of The Bulletin) on the history of public education in California. On the founding of the first public school shortly after the closing of the nearby private school: "... To forestall a lapse in education, the ayuntimento, or town council, late in 1847, erected a one-room school house on the town plaza, now Portsmouth Square. The school was under public control, but was supported almost entirely by tuition fees. The school opened in April 1848, with Thomas Douglas (Submitted on March 29, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 649 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.