New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
United States Mint
John Mitchell and Benjamin F. Fox. Builders.
The building was renovated and fireproofed
1856-59 under the supervision of
Captain Johnson K. Dunkin
On this site stood Fort San Carlos
erected in 1792 by Spanish Governor
François Louis Hector, Baron de Carondelet.
As Fort St. Charles, it was demolished
in 1821 and the site named Jackson Square
In honor of Major General Andrew Jackson who had reviewed
his troops here before the 1815 Battle of New Orleans.
Seized by Confederate Authorities in 1861.
Here, briefly, Confederate coins were minted.
After the fall of New Orleans to Federal Forces,
William B. Mumford was hanged in front of the Mint
on June 7, 1862, for having torn down the United States Flag
The building ceased to be used as a mint in 1909.
It became a federal prison in 1932
and was occupied by the U.S. Coast Guard 1948 to 1965.
The building was transferred to the State of Louisiana
And was renovated as part of the
Louisiana State Museum 1978-1980
EEAN Mc Naughton, Robert Biery, Michael Toups and
Bernard Lemann, Architects.
J.A. Jones Construction Co., Contractors.
Erected by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 29° 57.689′ N, 90° 3.459′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Esplanade Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located between Decatur Street and Elysian Fields Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort St. Charles (a few steps from this marker); Fauboug Marigny (within shouting distance of this marker); Solomon Northup (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Orleans and the Domestic Slave Trade (about 700 feet away); Denis House (about 700 feet away); Bringier – Barnett House (about 700 feet away); The Lamothe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); French Market (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Regarding United States Mint.
U.S. Mint, New Orleans Branch ** (added 1973 - - #73000875)
Also known as Old United States Mint
420 Esplanade Ave. , New Orleans
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Et al., Strickland,William
♦ Architectural Style: Greek Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Military, Architecture, Commerce
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1825-1849
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Government
♦ Current Function: Recreation And Culture
Also see . . . William Bruce Mumford, Flag incident. ...a group of seven individuals, including Mumford, decided to remove the flag from the Mint.... (Submitted on April 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 799 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 5, 6. submitted on April 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.