Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The west Sanford community of Goldsboro, at the turn of the 21st century, is home to more than 4,000 people, was the second Florida town incorporated by black citizens. William Clark opened a store in 1886 in the village of Goldsboro and on December 1, 1891, registered voters incorporated the town. Many of the residents were employed by the nearby railroad yard where thousands of carloads of citrus and celery were loaded for markets in the North. Others worked in the fields, groves and the icehouse and produce packing houses.
The town boundaries generally triangular in shape were south of west Thirteenth Street, between Olive Avenue on the west and Clark now known as Lake Avenue on the east. The first elected officials: Mayor Walter Williams, Alderman David Wilson, A. T. Shepard, J. A. Williams, E. C. Carolina and Mr. Hubbard, Clerk J. W. Small, Marshal W. W. Clark, Treasurer Joseph White, Tax Assessor, J. W. Small, and Tax Collector W. M. Clark. A year later the first school was opened with Katie Stubbins as teacher. The first Post Master was John Wesley Small. The first church was The Zion Methodist.
The town of Goldsboro
Community leaders are remembered through the naming of the Sanford Housing Authority complexes. William Clark is recognized as the merchant and home builder most responsible for the early development of Goldsboro.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1870.
Location. 28° 48.04′ N, 81° 16.843′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on West Thirteenth Street east of South Olive Avenue, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located at the Goldsboro Westside Historical Museum, situated along the sidewalk at the corner of the property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1211 West Thirteenth Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Seth French (1824~1896) (approx. half a mile away); Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student MuseumSanford Railroad Historical Data (approx. one mile away); The Henry B. Lord Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); The PICO Block (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); The First National Bank No. 1 (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The double-sided marker is capped on both sides with the Seminole County Historic Marker logo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Commentary: The History of Goldsboro. Short audio podcast produced by CMF Public Media (Submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. Goldsboro Museum. Museum website entry (Submitted on December 13, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.