Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings)

Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr., Architects

— Jacques Schnier and Robert Howard, Sculptors —

 
 
Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
1. Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) Marker
Inscription.  
1939-1940
City of Berkeley Landmark
designated in 1982
These buildings are fine examples of the Art Deco style in the Bay Area. They were designed as an ensemble with the adjacent Berkeley High School Community Theater. Bas-reliefs and other surface decoration accentuate an architecture of simple geometric volumes. The block-long west facade is enlivened by alternating two-and three-story sections, repetitively patterned window groupings, and a subtle asymmetry. The facades are graced by a large bas-relief of the goddess Cybele and Jacques Schnier’s vibrant depiction of St. George and the Dragon. In a 1995 renovation designed by VBN Architects in association with WLC Architects, the buildings were structurally retrofitted and their interiors were entirely remodeled.
 
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationLandmarks. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1982.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
37° 52.114′ N, 122° 16.348′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. It is in Downtown Berkeley. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr Way and Allston Way on Martin Luther King Jr Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Berkeley CA 94703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic McGee-Spaulding District (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley High School Alumni: Bobby Seale, Jean Yonemura Wing, Billy Martin (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley Veterans Memorial Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Hall Annex (about 300 feet away); Berkeley High School Alumni: Chinaka Hodge, Phil Lesh, Joshua Redman, The Lonely Island (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 600 feet away); Federal Land Bank (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
 
Also see . . .  Berkeley High School - BAHA. Toward the end of the 1930s, Berkeley High School undertook an extensive building program to replace older buildings and build new ones. The shop and science buildings, the Florence Schwimley Little Theater, and Berkeley High School Community Theater were designed in
Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
2. Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) Marker
The marker is to the left of the entrance.
1938 by architects Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr. They are the only planned ensemble of Art Deco–style buildings in the city and are significant examples of the style in the Bay Area. (Submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=54218

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024