Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Maryland Inn
William Butterfield was a drummer in the 1700's. He was paid five pounds per year for beating the drum and keeping the gate and he could earn fees for beating the drum on special occasions. In all, his earnings must have been adequate, for a court order established fines for beathing the drum at unseemly hours of the night. The order indicates that drummers sometimes indulge in enough rum and madeira at one of the taverns in Annapolis as to encourage jubilant and rowdy behavior.
In 1772, Thomas Hyde, a respected merchant and civic leader, acquired a long-term lease on the lot from Nathan Walters who was the mentor of portrait painter Charles Wilson Peale. Hyde had the front part of what is now the Maryland Inn constructed on the lot. In 1782, Hyde advertised for sale. It was described as "an elegant brick house adjoining Church Circle in a dry and healthy part of the city, this house is 100 feet front, 3 story high, has 20 fire places and is one of the first house in the state for a house of entertainment".
The Inn remained a popular place for lodging throughout the 19th century. It was acquired by the Maryland Hotel Company in 1868 and remained the most prominent Annapolis hotel and favorite rendezvous for important national, state and military visitors. in 1898, Spanish Admirals as prisoners of war were quartered there. By World War I, the Inn's facilities were outmoded and many of its rooms were converted into offices and apartments. There were several owners in the next several decades and in 1953 owners who became aware of the Inn's importance in Maryland's history acquired it. They began restoration designed to return its colonial appearance and to adapt ts historic accommodations
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Communications • Industry & Commerce • War, Spanish-American. A significant historical year for this entry is 1712.
Location. 38° 58.701′ N, 76° 29.541′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Circle, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Marker is about 25 feet south of the intersection, attached to the outside wall of The Maryland Inn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Southgate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Government House (within shouting distance of this marker); Reynold's Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryland State House (about 300 feet away); Lot 70 Is Historically Significant (about 300 feet away); Baron Johann de Kalb, 1721 - 1780 (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Maryland State House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,277 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.