Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Remnants of the University of Nashville
Peabody College, founded in 1875 as the State Normal College, was originally affiliated with the University of Nashville which traced its roots to Davidson Academy, founded in 1785. This Plaque was displayed on the Gate Keeper's lodge, built in 1889 near the main entrance to the old “South Campus,” located on Market Street (today 2nd Avenue) and home to the University of Nashville, Montgomery Bell Academy, Peabody Normal School, and, later, Vanderbilt University's Medical and Dental Departments.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this Education. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1785.
Location. 36° 8.534′ N, 86° 47.878′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker can be reached from Edgehill Avenue south of Magnolia Circle, on the left when traveling west. Located on the Commons Lawn of the Peabody Campus. Access through the alley between Magnolia Circle and Appleton Place with Peabody Maintenance on the left and Mayborn Hall on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. University School of Nashville (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Defenses (about 700 feet away); Roger Williams University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Disciples of Christ Historical Society (approx. ¼ mile away); Betty Chiles Nixon (approx. ¼ mile away); Nashville's Music Row (approx. ¼ mile away); Scarritt College for Christian Workers (approx. ¼ mile away); Mississippi to Nashville (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.