Lancaster Township in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Smokehouse / Icehouse
One of the three buildings constructed in 1828, this west dependency appears to have been a combination smokehouse / icehouse when it was originally built. Located a convenient distance from the basement kitchen, it is built of brick, wood, slate, and stone. With a basement “pit” that is 12 feet deep, constructed of 12 inch thick stones, it appears that storing ice was it’s primary purpose. Ice was probably loaded through the shuttered window close to the west drive. The buildings original appearance probably included a steep exterior stair to the second story door. The double thickness floor, with plaster covering, served to insulate the icehouse while providing minimal protection from fire. The second story has a firebox in the northeast corner, and a revolving rack in the center of the room. It would seem plausible that this story was used for smoking meats or fowl, or drying herbs or crops. With the advent of modern conveniences in the last half of the 19th century, the function of both the icehouse and smokehouse became redundant. The building was then used as a storage or garden shed, which it is used for today.
Topics. Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 40° 2.584′ N, 76° 19.868′ W. Marker is in Lancaster Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Marietta Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 23) and N President Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the grounds of Wheatland. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 Marietta Ave, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Buchanan Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Privy (within shouting distance of this marker); Ambulance Co. No. 111 28th Division A.E.F. (approx. half a mile away); The Liberty Bond House (approx. half a mile away); James Tilden Sheckard (approx. half a mile away); Wheatland (approx. half a mile away); Leo F. Hauck (approx. half a mile away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster Township.
Also see . . .
1. Wheatland. National Park Service website. (Submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. President James Buchanan’s Wheatland. LancasterHistory.org website. (Submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.