Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The beacon on the Sandy Hook Lighthouse was extinguished on December 8, 1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It remained dark until the end of World War II in 1945.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.701′ N, 74° 0.094′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Fort Hancock Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keeping the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarah Patterson Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandy Hook Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Mortar Battery Fire House Number 2 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lighting the Way (about 400 feet away); Fill’er Up! (about 400 feet away); Post Exchange (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a photograph of the lighthouse and has a caption of “Sandy Hook Lighthouse was built in 1764. This night scene was taken in 1943.” A photo on the left side of the marker includes the caption “During the war the tower (left) was given camouflage paint scheme to help hide it from enemy surveillance.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Fort Hancock Walking Tour.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.