Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1941, a new gymnasium was built on the other side of the YMCA. The smaller gym that stood here was demolished and the site was converted to a handball court.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.657′ N, 74° 0.188′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Hudson Road east of Kearney Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fill’er Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Chow Time! (within shouting Fire House Number 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock’em Up! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Exchange (about 300 feet away); Sergeants’ Row (about 300 feet away); Lighting the Way (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. A picture of soldiers on the Handball Court appears on the background of the marker. It has a caption of “The court was built in 1941 and is pictured here in 1943.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.