Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Rivermont in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Miller-Claytor House

 
 
Miller-Claytor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
1. Miller-Claytor House Marker
Inscription.  This building formerly stood at Eighth and Church streets. It now stands one block north. It was built by John Miller about 1791. Thomas Wiatt bought the house, long known as the “Mansion House.” Samuel Claytor purchased it in 1825. For many years doctors' offices were here. For ninety years the house was owned by the Page family. The Lynchburg Historical Society moved and restored it.
 
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Q-6-10.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 37° 26.178′ N, 79° 9.819′ W. Marker is in Rivermont in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Rivermont Avenue and Ash Street, on the right when traveling west on Rivermont Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Safe Haven in Lynchburg: Project Y (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hull of the Packet Boat Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Miller-Claytor House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
2. Miller-Claytor House
Packet Boat Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pearl S. Buck (approx. half a mile away); Randolph-Macon Woman's College (approx. half a mile away); Inner Defenses 1864 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Defense Works (approx. one mile away); Point of Honor (approx. 1.3 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2020