Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Best of Care
During World War II the Post Hospital became the focal point of a medical complex that served not only the garrison stationed here but also troops returning home from Europe. Fire destroyed the hospital in 1985.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 33.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts or Castles. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.437′ N, 74° 0.295′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Hartshorne Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, near the entrance to Fort Hancock. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hospital Steward’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dead House (within shouting distance of this marker); Just Like A Small TownCompany, Attention! (about 500 feet away); The Guns of Sandy Hook (about 500 feet away); Nike Ajax Explosion Memorial (about 600 feet away); NOAA Fisheries Service (about 800 feet away); This Is Why It’s Called Sandy Hook! (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo, taken in a nearby Dental Clinic in 1943, of a soldier getting his teeth x-rayed. A picture the Post Hospital as it appeared about 1942 is found at the lower right of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.