Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Baked Fresh Daily!
Every day at the Post Bakery, fresh bread was made for the mess halls and for sale at the Post Commissary. At 3 a.m. each morning soldiers would begin baking bread to feed the hundreds of troops who would report to the mess hall at 6 a.m., noon, and 5 p.m.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.869′ N, 74° 0.285′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartermaster Storehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Post TheaterFire House Number 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Mule Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferry Landing and Chapel (about 300 feet away); World War II Victory Garden (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the interior of the Post Bakery. It has a caption of “The bakery was built 1898. This photo of the ovens was taken in 1944.” The bottom right of the marker contains a 1938 photo of the Bakery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.