Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fire House Number 1
Fort Hancock’s first fire station was manned by enlisted soldiers who were the post’s firefighters. The tower at the rear of the building was used for drying hoses. Today this is the National Park Service Sandy Hook fire fighting station.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 40° 27.901′ N, 74° 0.315′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and South Bragg Road, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mule Barn (a few steps from this marker); Rodman Gun (within Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Baked Fresh Daily! (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferry Landing and Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1938 of the fire house, which was built in 1905.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.