Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the days before automobiles, armies moved by horse and mule power. Fort Hancock stabled its army mules in this building. The teamsters, or mule skinners who drove the mule teams, lived in the house next door. In later years, the barn was converted to a barracks and after that, a service club.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 40° 27.905′ N, 74° 0.317′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and South Bragg Road, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceFire House Number 1 (a few steps from this marker); Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferry Landing and Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Baked Fresh Daily! (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Theater (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1910 of mounted soldiers in front of the Mule Barn, which was built in 1899. A 1901 photo taken inside the Mule Barn appears at the lower left of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.