Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Locomotive Engineer’s House
The senior railroad engineer, who ran Sandy Hook’s locomotives, lived here. An extensive military railroad system carried guns and ammunition to the Sandy Hook Proving Ground and later supplied all of Fort Hancock. Today, the building is used as a residence for National Park staff. Please respect their privacy.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 28.082′ N, 74° 0.38′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and Canfield Road, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chemical Laboratory (here, next to this marker); Proving Ground Foreman’s House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Master Mechanic’s Quarters (about 400 feet away); Barracks, School, Headquarters (about 600 feet away); Hasty Additions in Wartime (about 600 feet away); Fort Hancock Officers’ Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); The World War II Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rodman Gun (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the locomotive General Rodman from about 1900. It was one of the locomotives that hauled cannon and equipment at the Proving Ground. A photo at the upper right of the marker depicts the Engineer’s House, which was built in 1900, as it appeared in 1938.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.