Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Proving Ground Foremanís House
This was the home for one of the foremen at the Sandy Hook Proving Ground. After the proving ground closed in 1919, it was used for housing noncommissioned officers and their families. Today, this building is a residence for National Park Service staff. Please respect their privacy.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 28.031′ N, 74° 0.373′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Barracks, School, Headquarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Locomotive Engineerís House (about 300 feet away); Hasty Additions in Wartime (about 300 feet away); Chemical Laboratory (about 300 feet away); Site of Master Mechanicís Quarters (about 400 feet away); Rodman Gun (about 700 feet away); Mule Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Hancock Officersí Club (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a 1938 photo of the Proving Ground Foremanís House, which was built in 1894.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.