Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Steinle Turret Machine Co.
The Steinle Turret Machine Co. building represents Madison's early industrial heritage. This building is significant as a manufacturing type known as a production shed. It is characterized by its one-story brick construction of considerable length, having a 3-bay form with a tall, central crane bay for a traveling production crane, an open floor plan, monitor roof, and steel-framed, wire-glass windows. The exterior design, termed Astylistic Utilitarian, reflected an engineer's concept of beauty based on function and utility, detailed to imply strength and efficient organization.
Designated April 22, 2008
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 174.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1846.
Location. 43° 5.81′ N, 89° 20.63′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Waubesa Street and LaFollette Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 Waubesa Street, Madison WI 53704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Bernard's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stang-Wirth House (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Elmside" (approx. Ό mile away); Herman J. Loftsgordon House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riley House (approx. half a mile away); Lizard Effigy Mound (approx. half a mile away); "Let The Great Spirits Soar" (approx. half a mile away); Lt. Gerald Stull USAF (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Steinle Turret Machine Co.. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The period of significance [for this type of production building] extends from 1903 to 1942 encompassing the dates of construction of the original section and the four additions to the building. In 1940 the building was acquired by the Theodore Kupfer Iron Works. The Steinle building retains much of its historic integrity and was part of a significant restoration and rehabilitation project in which it has become the Goodman Community Center."
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on April 30, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on May 1, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.