Jackson in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Horace Ismon / Ismon Building
This building was erected for Jackson dry goods merchant Horace Ismon in 1853. Ismon had begun his mercantile career in Paw Paw during the 1840s. Although established in Jackson, he continued his Paw Paw ventures, engaging in the woolen trade, building a tannery and grist and saw mills, and financing the Paw Paw Railroad. Ismon was a founding director of the Jackson County Bank in 1872. Having no children of their own, Ismon and his wife Clara, mentored youth interested in the mercantile trade.
A lavish gala attended by three hundred guests and future governor Austin Blair celebrated the opening of the Ismon Building on February 22, 1853. The building has housed a variety of enterprises, among them Horace Ismon's dry goods store, a pharmacy, and a home health service. From 1927 to 1972, the Fairy Garden restaurant occupied the upper floors. It believed to have been the first Jackson establishment with air conditioning (installed in 1933).
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1838.
Location. 42° 14.841′ N, 84° 24.521′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Michigan, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Michigan Avenue and South Jackson Street, on the left when traveling west on West Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 171 W Michigan Ave, Jackson MI 49201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacksonburg Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); First Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); St. Mary Star of the Sea Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Austin Blair (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.