Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John Muir School
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1915,
— Collins-Byrens & Gerson-Overstreet, 1976 & Baker/Vilar Architects, 1998 —
designated in 1983
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 37° 51.461′ N, 122° 14.699′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2955 Claremont Avenue, Berkeley CA 94705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Claremont Court Gate and Street Markers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Claremont Public Improvements (approx. ¼ mile away); The Kelsey Ranch (approx. 0.3 miles away); Strand (Elmwood) Theater (approx. half a mile away); Berkeley Piano Club (approx. ¾ mile away); American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.8 miles away); Orchard Lane (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . John Muir School - Berkeley Public Schools. John Muir was constructed in 1916, with funds from the 1915 bond. The original architect as James Plachek. The first principal was Miss Lydia Atterbury. The original curriculum was based upon the Montessori method. (Submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 494 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.