Read House & Gardens
Delaware Historical Society
Immediately after purchasing the house in 1846, second owner William Couper and his family added a formal garden that stretched back to Second Street. He and his family also purchased the lot to the north of the Read House. In the early 1900s third owners Philip and Lydia Laird laid brick sidewalks throughout the garden and erected brick walls to unify their property with the streetscape.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 39° 39.572′ N, 75° 33.697′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Strand. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of George Read (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird (within shouting distance of this marker); Packet Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers (about 300 feet away); Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); New Castle Common (about 400 feet away); Revolutionary War Patriots in the Immanuel Churchyard (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.