Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Freemasonry in Macon
Dr. Ambrose Baber, M.D., a physician and pioneer citizen of Macon, was the first Worshipful Master of Macon Lodge and later served the whole craft in Georgia as Grand Master of Masons during 1831. He died accidentally in 1846 and in the following year a monument was erected to his memory by joint action of the Grand Lodge of Georgia, Macon Lodge and Constantine Chapter No. 4, Royal Arch Masons.
In 1825 during his triumphal tour of the United States by Brother and General the Marquis De La Fayette, the Freemasons of Macon and other groups lavishly entertained and honored this famous and beloved French nobleman who had contributed so much to the cause of American liberty by serving
Erected 1971 by Educational & Historical Commission, Grand Lodge of Georgia, F&AM.
Location. 32° 50.185′ N, 83° 37.526′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Mulberry Street 0 miles east of 3rd Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Macon History (a few steps from this marker); William Augustus Bootle (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Macon City Hall (about 500 feet away); First Public Camellia Show (about 500 feet away); William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (about 500 feet away); Post 3 Macon (about 500 feet away); Wilson's Raid To Macon (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
More. Search the internet for Freemasonry in Macon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.