San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Historic Best Building
Constructed in 1910, the Best Building opened in 1911 housing the San Leandro State Bank. The building featured classical Beaux Arts detail and ornamentation. The architect used white terracotta tiles on the exterior and imported marble for the wainscoting and stair entrances in the interior. The building was restored in 1973-1974 by the Best Building Partnership.
Best also constructed a theater next door to the bank. It opened showing silent films, but on July 19, 1913, Thomas Edison’s first moving and talking picture was shown at the Best Theater.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 43.495′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 East 14th Street, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Brown Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casa Peralta (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.