Elba in Coffee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Curtis School
Early 1900’s to 1967
E. C. Griffin served as the last principal. Other principals included R. L. Farris, F. T. Waldon, D. B. Nelson, J. E. Cheatum, and C. M. Byrd.
Erected 1989 by Curtis Alumni and Friends.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 31° 23.765′ N, 86° 9.373′ W. Marker is in Elba, Alabama, in Coffee County. Marker is on Alabama Route 141, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elba AL 36323, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Elba Lodge #170 AF & AM Folsom Estate (approx. 5.4 miles away); Folsom Birthplace (approx. 5.4 miles away); Historic Court Square (approx. 5½ miles away); City of Elba (approx. 5½ miles away); The Depot / Opp, Alabama (approx. 9.9 miles away); Wellborn (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elba.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 822 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.