Pope Valley in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Pope Valley Store
Plaque dedicated April 22, 2006 by
Sam Brannan Chapter #1004 E Clampus Vitus
Credo Quia Absurdum
Erected 2006 by Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004 E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 36.901′ N, 122° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pope Valley CA 94567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pope Valley Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henry Haus Blacksmith and Wagonmaker Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Litto’s Hubcap Ranch (approx. 2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 6.4 miles away); The White Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Reason P. Tucker (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bale Grist Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dr. Edward Turner Bale (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pope Valley.
Regarding Pope Valley Store. Mildred Hoover and Douglas Kyle, in Historic Spots in California note that, "...the Pope Valley Store was first opened in 1888; Thomas Neil added a saloon and a seven-room hotel, which were operated by him and later by his son, Elgy Neil. The place was closed when the latter died in 1970."
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
John Dolzadell was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Loren A. Wilson.
2. Thw Pope Valley Store
The Pope Valley Store was built about 1875 as a one-story gable-roofed building. In the 1880’s a second one-story gable-roofed building was attached to the original structure. In 1912, Thomas L. G. Neil purchased the structure from Henry Schaeffer and added a second story to the 1880’s addition. For nearly 100 years the Pope Valley Store was the center of activities for the residents of Pope Valley. The store was also a stopover for the people traveling to and from the mines in Lake County. The two story building had the general store and saloon downstairs, and a seven room hotel upstairs. The original one story building housed the Post Office. A barn to the rear of the store served horses and wagons into the 1920’s when Thomas Neil started a garage which became one of the first AAA stations in California. Thomas Neil had homesteaded in the Berryessa Valley in 1873. When a fire burned his ranch house he moved to Pope Valley and the store. The store sold general merchandise, hardware and dry goods. Thomas Neil who also served as a Deputy Sheriff, ran the store and garage until his death in 1963. His son Elgy Neil, continued operating the store until his death.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5. submitted on April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. 6. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.