Historic District - North in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity Methodist Church
Trinity Church is the oldest Methodist Church in a city whose intimate association with John Wesley and George Whitefield gives it a unique place in the history of Methodism.
The cornerstone of the building was laid February 14, 1848, in a ceremony presided over by the Reverend Alfred T. Mann, Pastor. The edifice, which was completed in 1850, is in the Corinthian order of architecture and was designed by John B. Hogg of Savannah.
Prior to the erection of Trinity Church the Methodist congregation in Savannah worshiped in Wesley Chapel on South Broad Street. Among the great preachers of the Methodist Church whose names are associated with the Chapel are Francis Asbury, William Capers, John Howard, James C. Andrew, Ignatus Few, Elijah Sinclair and George F. Pierce. Through their faith and service others have lived more valiantly.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-67.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is February 14, 1848.
Location. 32° 4.717′ N, 81° 5.704′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - North. Marker is on Barnard Street near Presidents Street, on the right when traveling south. Located next to Telfair Square, Savannah. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences (a few steps from this marker); Telfair Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Telfair Family Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wesley (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tondee's Tavern (about 600 feet away); Flame of Freedom / Relighting the Flame (about 600 feet away); Independent Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. relationship with marker as mentioned
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,604 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.