Clintonville in Coffee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
January 11, 1860
This area was first known as Indigo Head. In 1845 one of the first voting precincts was located here. Clintonville post office established June 16, 1849.
Some of pioneer families were – Fleming, Brooks, Hutchison, Gunter, Sawyer, Goynes, Watson, Moates, Carmichael, Warren, Brock, Harding, Wilks, Peacock, and Helms.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1861.
Location. 31° 24.773′ N, 85° 53.574′ W. Marker is in Clintonville, Alabama, in Coffee County. Marker is on Alabama Route 51, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Brockton AL 36351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arwood School Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Tabernacle Methodist ChurchEnterprise Academy (approx. 7 miles away); Boll Weevil Monument (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rawls Hotel (approx. 7.2 miles away); Enterprise Depot (approx. 7.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Longstreet Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,123 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.