Pendleton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This area was a hub of African-American life from the late-19th to mid-20th centuries. Anderson County Training School, built ca. 1922 as a Rosenwald school, closed in 1954 under the equalization program for black and white schools. It burned in the 1960s. The agricultural building is now a community center. The Faith Cabin Library, built ca. 1935 by a program to give black schools their own libraries, is one of only two such libraries still standing in S.C.
A frame store built nearby by Benjamin Horace Keese (1881-1975) and long known as the “Keese Barn” was a favorite gathering place for many years. Built ca. 1900 as a grocery store, it was later expanded and served as a cafe and antiques store/auction house. In 2003 Clemson University architecture students dismantled the Keese Barn and reused its historic materials to build the Memorial Block, to honor the store and its significance in Pendleton.
Erected 2012 by Pendleton Pride in Motion. (Marker Number 4-38.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Rosenwald Schools series list.
Location. 34° 39.15′ N, 82° 47.217′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 West Queen Street, Pendleton SC 29670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pendleton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hunter's Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Farmers Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Health & Heritage Walking Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Mill Stone (approx. ¼ mile away); African American School Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Printer John Miller (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas Green Clemson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clement Hoffman Stevens (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Green Clemson (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Also see . . .
1. Pendleton group to unveil black-history marker. The marker to be unveiled this weekend recognizes "The Hundreds" area and specifically the Anderson County Training School, Keese Barn, and Faith Cabin. (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Rosenwald School (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Faith Cabin Library. The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School is significant for its role in African-American education and social history in South Carolina from ca. 1936, when it was built, to 1954, when Anderson County Training School closed with the construction of a new African-American “equalization school” nearby. (Submitted on January 31, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Faith Cabin Libraries. Voluntary groups formed to provide Blacks with access to reading materials in response to the near total neglect by officials in county and state government. (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Renewing the Spirit of the Old Keese Barn. (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. The Keese Barn Project. (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Barn Project Finishes. This past Friday, graduate students of Clemson University's Studio South gathered along with Pendleton community residents, members of the Historical (Submitted on April 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Faith Cabin Library - National Register Nomination Form
The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School is located off Town Street in Pendleton, Anderson County, South Carolina, near its intersection with West Queen Street. It is situated on a southern-facing hill. The building is a linear building oriented to the east. This one-story log building on a stone foundation is covered by a five-V-crimped tin roof. It is located adjacent to the only other building remaining at the Anderson County Training School, now (2012) serving as the Pendleton Community Center.
The facade features two larger rectangular windows located on either side of the wooden plank door. The windows are covered with wooden plank shutters which are barred by planks of wood on the top and bottom of the shutter. Along the southern elevation of the building is an irregularly-coursed field stone chimney
Faith Cabin Libraries in South Carolina, built from 1932 to 1943, fall into two subtypes based on physical and associative characteristics. The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School falls under Subtype 1, Free-Standing Log Cabin. Construction materials were supplied by the local community. This Faith Cabin Library is a one-room building with a field stone chimney.
A 1993 photograph of the library, in a brochure titled A Legacy of Black History: Pendleton, S.C., shows the library with a small wooden porch and a sign reading “Faith Cabin Library.” That porch was removed between 1993 and 2010. This library still, however, possesses architectural integrity and retains its character-defining features, making it eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under the associated Multiple Property Submission.
Statement of Significance Summary
According to a 1940 report compiled by Willie Lee Buffington, founder of the Faith Cabin Library program, this school then contained 5,197 books.(2) During the school year, the library was open from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.(3) A teacher with library experience staffed the library. In the summer months, the library remained open from 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.(4)
Narrative Statement of Significance
Criterion A – Education / Ethnic Heritage – African American
The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School was a part of the larger Faith Cabin Library
program that offered library services to African Americans in South Carolina. The segregation laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, known as "Jim Crow" laws, barred African Americans from using other library facilities beyond what was offered
The black community of Pendleton and nearby rural communities of Anderson County were among the thirty communities fortunate to participate in the Faith Cabin Library program. With donated money and timber from the community, this library, a free-standing log cabin, was built on the campus of the Anderson County Training School circa 1936. It continued to serve that school until it was closed in 1954 with the construction of a new African-American school in Seneca. That school was built under the “equalization program” of Governor James F. Byrnes’ administration (funded by the Educational Finance Commission), a statewide attempt to preserve the practice of racial segregation in public schools by providing newer and better facilities for black students under the “separate but equal” doctrine as set forth by the United States Supreme Court in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), establishing the rationale for de jure segregation in America.
1. There are conflicting dates of construction for this library. Research by Tamara Powell, in the Willie Lee Buffington Papers
History and Culture, A Legacy of Black History: Pendleton, S.C. (Pendleton: Pendleton District Commission, 1993) claims 1939. The library was in use before 1940, according to Buffington’s report “A General Survey of Faith Cabin Library with its 26 Separate Units (South Carolina),” (June and July 1940), Willie Lee Buffington Papers, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina,Columbia, S.C. (hereafter cited as Buffington Papers). A circa date of 1936 seems most appropriate.
2. “A General Survey,” Buffington Papers.
5. Tamara Powell, “Willie Lee Buffington and Faith Cabin Libraries: Doing Practical Good in a Disordered World.” In Susan Schramm-Pate and Rhonda B. Jefferies, eds., Grappling with Diversity: Readings on Civil Rights Pedagogy and Critical Multiculturalism (Albany: State University Press of New York, 2008), p. 85.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.