Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
University of Florida Historic Campus
The University of Florida Campus Historic District and two individual campus buildings were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and 1990 in recognition of their architectural and cultural significance and the coherence of the campus plan. The buildings were designed by architects William A. Edwards from 1905 to 1924 and Rudolph Weaver from 1925 to 1939 in the Collegiate Gothic style. The landscape plan was developed in 1926 by Olmsted Brothers, the firm that designed New York's Central Park. The historic campus reflects the university's rich heritage and the significant place it holds in Florida's educational history.
Erected 1995 by Florida Heritage Landmark The Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-360.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1989.
Location. 29° 39.122′ N, 82° 20.512′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on W University Avenue (State Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesville FL 32603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Integration Pioneers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Children’s Literature Collection (about 500 feet away); Bryan Hall (about 600 feet away); Peabody Hall (about 600 feet away); Keene-Flint Hall (about 600 feet away); Marshall M. Criser (about 700 feet away); Leigh Hall (about 800 feet away); Latin American Studies (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Regarding University of Florida Historic Campus. National Register of Historic Places:
University of Florida Campus Historic District (added 1989 - - #89000322)
Also known as See
Bounded by W. University Ave., US 441/SW. 13th St., Stadium Rd., and North-South Dr. , Gainesville
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Weaver, Rudolph; Fulton, Guy C., Edwards,William A.
♦ Architectural Style: Late Gothic Revival, Other
♦ Area of Significance: Education, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Education
♦ Historic Sub-function: College
• Buckman Hall (added 1974 - - #74000609)
• Thomas Hall (added 1974 - - #74000610)
• Anderson Hall (added 1979 - - #79000652)
• Bryan Hall (added 1979 - - #79000653)
• Flint Hall (added 1979 - - #79000654)
• Floyd Hall (added 1979 - - #79000655)
• Norman Hall (added 1990- -#:89002302)
Also see . . .
1. The University of Florida Campus Historic District , Wikipedia entry. a historic district on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida...encompasses approximately 650 acres (2.6 km2) and contains 11 listed buildings plus contributing properties....Destroyed buildings in the district:
• Johnson Hall (originally known as University Commons) was UFs original dining hall). Located west of Dauer, it was designed by William Augustus Edwards, built 1912 and burned 1987. The Academic Advising Center now occupies the site.
• Old Benton Hall (originally the Engineering Building), was designed by William Augustus Edwards, built 1911 and demolished 1966. Grinter Hall, built in 1971, now occupies the site.
• Original Post Office, third building on campus, demolished before 1977 to make way for General Purpose Building A, now Turlington Hall. (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. University of Florida. University website homepage:
In 1853, the state-funded (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. UF Historic Sites Guide. Twenty UF buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.