Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. James Catholic Church
Dedicated May 1982 by Joseph Flynn, Supervisor
District Four, El Dorado County
H.S. Bliss W.S. Butts Gene Chappie Ken Collins Harold Krabbenhoff Dan Mainwaring Ted Maylone Jim McNatt Danno Raffetto Mark A. Smith Jack Warner
Erected 1982 by Jeepers Jamboree Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 54.551′ N, 120° 51.053′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker can be reached from Front Street just north of Georgetown Road (California Highway 193). The church building and marker are located at the eastern end of the shopping complex and is part of an antique store. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shannon Knox House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wells Fargo Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Armory (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jonathan Davis (approx. 0.7 miles away); Georgetown Hotel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Georgetown Firehouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Regarding St. James Catholic Church. The first Catholic Church burned in 1858. It was rebuilt and then burned again in the town fire of 1869. Itinerant priests conducted services in private homes until the old Armory building was converted into a church in 1881. A new church was finally built next to the Armory and was dedicated in November 1923. The chapel served for 50 years until a new church was built on Harkness Road.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.