Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Georgetown Firehouse

 
 
Georgetown Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 23, 2012
1. Georgetown Firehouse Marker
Inscription.  This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street.
 
Erected 1967 by James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1965.
 
Location. 38° 54.397′ N, 120° 50.336′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6281 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (here, next to this marker); Chief Jack Anderson (here, next to this marker); Georgetown (here, next to this marker); Miners Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus
Georgetown Firehouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
2. Georgetown Firehouse and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Blues (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Additional commentary.
1. The Original Firehouse
Georgetown's modern fire department was organized in 1927, but the Fire Protection District wasn't formed until 1938 when this small building was built to house the district's sole fire engine. A new, bigger brick building with offices and extra bays was constructed thirty years later directly across the street and the old firehouse was converted for commercial use.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted April 28, 2012.
 
Georgetown Firehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 23, 2012
3. Georgetown Firehouse
The Firehouse is the brick building in the center of the photo with the bays to the right. Marker is off photo to the left.
The Original Firehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
4. The Original Firehouse
The small building in the center of the photo was the original firehouse. It now serves as an auto repair shop.
Sign on Firehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
5. Sign on Firehouse
Georgetown Fire Department
Georgetown Volunteer F.D.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   3. submitted on May 4, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   4, 5. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=54929

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 28, 2022