Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Wells Fargo Building
and State Stop
Built in 1852
Erected by Growlersburg Chapter 86, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 54.369′ N, 120° 50.364′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road) and Placer Street, on the right when traveling south on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6265 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Armory (a few steps from this marker); Georgetown Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Jack Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Georgetown Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
1. Ditch Company Building
Adams & Co. Express office opened on this site in 1853, but went bankrupt within two years. It became a banking house, with the terminal of the Alta Telegraph Line branch from Coloma to Georgetown located inside. It burned in 1856, and was rebuilt in as a Post Office and book store, but burned again in 1869. The current structure, built in 1870, was purchased by the California Water and Mining Company in 1872, then remained the headquarters until 1945. It also served as the town telephone office from 1934 - 1939.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted April 28, 2012.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.