Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Clanton in Chilton County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

City of Clanton

 
 
City of Clanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 4, 2012
1. City of Clanton Marker
Inscription.  Clanton, originally named Goose Pond, was founded in 1867 by Alfred Baker Sr. Goose Pond was renamed Clanton in honor of Confederate hero General James Holt Clanton. The city limits cover approximately 18 square miles. Clanton is located near the geographical center of Alabama, halfway between the cities of Birmingham and Montgomery, and is nestled between two major thoroughfares, Interstate 65 and U. S. Highway 31. In honor of the peach industry that thrives in the area, the city of Clanton erected a 500,000 gallon peach water tower that stands 120 feet tall at exit 212 on I65. As a tribute to the peach producers, who help not only bring economic vitality to the community but a civic vitality as well, an annual celebration is held downtown the last week in June.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Clanton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 50.384′ N, 86° 37.774′ W. Marker is in Clanton, Alabama, in Chilton County. Marker is on
City of Clanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 4, 2012
2. City of Clanton Marker
2nd Avenue North, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located in front of the Clanton City Hall on 2nd Avenue North. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clanton AL 35045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chilton County History (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Alabama Vietnam Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Chilton County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnut Creek United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chilton County Training School 1924-1969 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Scandinavian Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Thorsby Remembers Our Veterans (approx. 7.1 miles away); Thorsby: A Scandinavian Colony in the South (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clanton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on April 30, 2012, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2020