Bethel in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
• 1866: Land was donated by Eliza Benedict for the School
• 1866: Plumtrees School was built. At this time Bethel had five school districts. Grades one through eight were taught in the same room. The teacher had to arrive very early in the morning and warm up the building by starting a fire in a wood-burning stove. Quite often the children had to gather sticks for the fire.
• 1881: Cupola and Bell were added. The school became over crowded, so the decision was made to increase the building size.
• 1939: Plumtrees School Association was formed. The Association-formed by parents-assisted in providing school materials and maintenance. The Association hosted the Plumtrees Lawn Party as a social event.
• 1957: School was closed for renovations. For ninety years students used the
• 1962: School reopened as a kindergarten.
• 1970: School closed. A new school in the Educational Park was named after Anna H. Rockwell, who taught at the Plumtrees school for 43 years. The building was used by the Visiting Nurse Association as a children's health care clinic after it closed in 1970.
• 2006: Plumtrees School and Landmark Preservation Committee was formed.
• 2007: Plumtrees School was placed on the State of Connecticut Registry of Historic Places
• 2008: Renovations to restore the school to its original condition began. New wood shingle roof. The original bell was lost and replaced with an 1896 bell that the Plumtrees Preservation Committee purchased. The bell is 20 inches in diameter and weighs about 80 to 100 pounds, and can be heard for miles when rung.
• 2009: Plumtrees School is rededicated as an Educational Museum.
This informational sign is an Eagle Scout Project, completed by Brandon Lennox of Troop 71, Bethel CT. It was made possible through generous donations from the community businesses, family & friends. It is dedicated to the Plumtrees School House Preservation Committee and their vision of preserving Bethel's history, July 2009
Topics. This historical Education.
Location. 41° 23.416′ N, 73° 23.567′ W. Marker is in Bethel, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Plumtrees Road and Taylor Road, on the right when traveling north on Plumtrees Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethel CT 06801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plumtrees Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Bethel (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethel World War I Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); In Memory of All Bethel Veterans (approx. 1.6 miles away); Phineas Taylor (P.T.) Barnum (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bethel Soldier’s Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Bethel Railway Station - 1912 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Danbury World War II Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethel.
Also see . . . Plumtrees School House. (Submitted on May 1, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.