Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This hangar, built in 1929 by the Curtiss-Wright Flying Service, was the first building at Owens Field, a municipal airport then 3 mi. S of the city limits. Curtiss-Wright built and operated numerous airports across America for the next two decades, also offering flight training. The airport, named for Mayor Lawrence B. Owens (1869-1941), was dedicated in 1930 with an airshow seen by 15, 000 spectators.
Regularly scheduled flights began in 1932, and civilian flight training began in 1939. Observation flights of the U.S. Army Air Corps began in 1940, and military training by the U.S. Army Air Force continued through World War II and beyond. In 1962 the city transferred the airport to Richland County, which has owned and operated it since. This hangar was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Erected 2012 by The Richland County Airport Commission. (Marker Number 40-173.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Jim Hamilton Blvd, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tree of Life Synagogue (approx. one mile away); The "Columbiad" Cannon (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shandon Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Early Columbia Racetrack (approx. 1˝ miles away); Shandon (approx. 1˝ miles away); Redfern Field / Paul R. Redfern (approx. 1˝ miles away); Beth Shalom Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Paul R. Redfern (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Curtiss-Wright Hangar. National Register of Historic Places:
Curtiss--Wright Hangar ** (added 1998 - - #98000418)
Also known as Owens Field Municipal Airport Hangar
1400 Jim Hamilton Blvd. , Columbia
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Curtiss Flying Services
♦ Architectural Style: Other
♦ Area of Significance: Transportation, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1925-1949
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Transportation
(Owens Field Municipal Airport Hangar) The Curtis-Wright Hangar, the first building erected at Owens Field in 1929, represents the contributions of air transportation to the city of Columbia and the state of South Carolina. The hangar grew and changed along with the airport and aviation history. It was first used to house airplanes for passenger and airmail services, then became the headquarters of the South Carolina Aeronautics Commission, later was used as
space for the civilian flight training program, and finally was used for general aircraft maintenance. During the 1930s, Owens Field had the distinction of hosting many well-known aviators and personalities, including Amelia Earhart and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The Curtiss-Wright Hangar is a running bond gray brick structure with a metal-clad barrel roof and is similar in style to other airport hangars built in the twenties. The hangar has a main open storage area for airplanes, which is flanked on either side by flat-roofed wings. The central storage area is about two stories in height, and has a clearance of approximately twenty feet beneath the steel roof girders. Listed in the National Register April 30, 1998.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Also see . . . Columbia Star - The Curtiss–Wright. (Submitted on May 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. The Marker
Although printed and casted 2011, the marker was erected in 2012
— Submitted May 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.