Historic Cannery Row
The archaic bucket-and-cable transfer method could not accommodate the larger catches, so Hovden devised a system of floating wooden hoppers. The hoppers were anchored to the seabed and connected to the canneries by underwater steel pipes. Marine pumps literally sucked the sardines into the canneries for processing or storage in concrete holding tanks through the opening in the deck.
The hoppers were built at the Monterey Boat Works and placed about 500 feet offshore from their respective canneries. They were marked and numbered for ease of recognition. A deckload of fish from Frank Manaka’s Western Explorer is seen here making the transfer. Monterey’s Japanese community made up about 20 percent of the local fishing fleet.
Location. 36° 37.018′ N, 121°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Silver Harvest (here, next to this marker); Giant Kelp Beyond the Breakers (here, next to this marker); Fiction (within shouting distance of this marker); The Del Mar Canning Company, 1927-1947 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Science (about 300 feet away); Ed Ricketts’s Backyard (about 300 feet away); The Cannery Row Monument (about 300 feet away); One Man, Two Worlds (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Fish Hoppers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.